Friday, December 26, 2008

Mumbai Memories and "the green flag of Islam"

[an] article in The Observer quotes the leader of the Lashkar-e-Taiba movement in Pakistan as saying that, Christians, Jews and Hindus being the enemies of Islam, the aim of the organisation is to 'unfurl the green flag of Islam in Washington, Tel Aviv and New Delhi.'

from "Mumbai's The Word"
by Theodore Dalrymple (Dec. 2008)
New English Review
http://www.newenglishreview.org/custpage.cfm/frm/29254/sec_id/29254

"I once stayed at the Taj Mahal in Bombay (as it was then still called). I didn't enjoy it as much as I might have done, because I was recovering from the hepatitis I had contracted in the South Seas. But I still recognised the magnificence of the institution, even as I regretted the modern excrescence that been added to the original building that ruined its architectural unity.
One morning as I left the hotel, a middle-aged man with a black umbrella and a medium-clean dhoti said to me . . .

Continue reading at New English Review - "Mumbai's The Word"

No comments:

Post a Comment